This almond spiced cake is one of my favourites to snack on while sipping on a cup of coffee. I know these flavours aren’t very summery, but thankfully, chocolate has no season. However, sometimes I find, chocolate can be a bit too rich for summer desserts. Here, the almond meal brings the needed lightness and nuttiness, cutting through the dark chocolate ganache. This simple almond spiced cake pairs deliciously warm spices like cinnamon and ginger with chocolate to create the perfect snack cake!
For the cake:
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 50 g light brown sugar
- 50 g granulated sugar
- 100 g olive oil
- 100 g whole milk, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 124 g whole wheat flour
- 100 g almond meal / ground almonds
For the ganache:
- 70 g dark chocolate, chopped (65% cocoa +)
- 70 g heavy cream
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees. Line a rectangular cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, milk, oil, salt, ginger, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Add and in the flour and fold to combine. Then gently fold in the almond meal.
- Transfer batter to prepared cake pan and bake for 34-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Then, remove and set aside to cool completely.
- To make the ganache, add the chocolate to a heat-proof mixing bowl. Add the cream and cayenne pepper to a saucepan and simmer over low heat. Do not boil (boiling may cause the cream to split). Pour over chocolate and let sit for 3 minutes.
- Whisk to combine until smooth and all the chocolate is melted. Set aside to set for 10-15 minutes. Then spread over cooled cake.