If you are a fan of lemon desserts, you will absolutely adore this tart. Adapted from my favourite one-bowl lemon bar recipe, this tart is so simple to put together. No cooking a custard or rolling out pastry dough – everything happens in one bowl and in less than 10 minutes. A thick buttery crust topped with a silky lemon filling that is perfectly balanced between sweet and tart – I could seriously sit and eat this whole tart myself, that’s how good it is.
*This is a small batch recipe that uses a 5 inch tart tin. To double the recipe, use an 8 inch tin.
*This recipe can easily be made into lemon bars. Double the recipe and use an 8×8 tin. Press all the shortcrust at the bottom instead of bringing it up the sides.
*I topped my tart with some Greek yogurt and lemon zest. You could leave it plain or use whipped cream or sour cream.
For the crust:
- 85 g whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons castor sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
For the lemon filling:
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons castor sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 50 g lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- To make the crust, in a large mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, salt and lemon zest. Whisk together until combined. Add in the cold, cubed butter and press between your fingers, incorporating the flour. The mixture should look like breadcrumbs with some larger pieces of butter still left. The dough should stick together when pressed between your fingers. If it doesn’t, add a spoon of cold water.
- Transfer the dough into the tart tin and press the dough into the bottom and up the sides. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, make the filling. In the same bowl, add the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, juice and flour. Whisk together until completely combined. Pour on top of baked crust while it is still warm.
- Bake for 20 minutes. The filling should be just set. If you shake the tin, the filling should wobble in the centre. Let cool at room temperature and then chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Top with Greek yogurt and lemon zest before slicing.