There is something so special, almost magical about this cake. It brings together two fragranced and mellow flavours that work together like magic, pistachio and rose. These comforting, familiar flavours always take me back to my grandmother’s Phirni. It’s a combination that forever has a place in my heart. But, inside a cake, this combination works just as well, if not better. This Persian cake is delicately flavoured with toasty notes of almonds and pistachios. It’s bright and floral, decadent and fragrant. Or to put it simply, it’s delicious.
- 75 g butter
- 80 g sugar
½ tablespoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon rose extract
- 2 eggs
- 90 g ground almonds
- 65 g ground pistachios
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a small loaf tin with baking paper.
- Add the butter, sugar, lime zest, vanilla and rose extract in a mixing bowl. Cream together until pale and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, mixing well after each addition.
- Fold in the ground almonds and ground pistachios.
- Bake for 1 hour.