There is nothing more comforting than freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. And these cookies are just perfect. They’re crisp on the outside yet soft and chewy on the inside. The kind of beautiful fudgey chewiness that just melts away in your mouth.
- 90g white sugar
- 200g packed brown sugar
- 110g unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 whole egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 200g all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 7 ounces dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Add the butter to a small saucepan and place over low heat. Cook the butter until it is brown and gives off a toasty aroma. Immediately transfer to a heat-proof bowl to stop the browning. Let the butter come to room temperature.
- Now add in the white and brown sugar and whisk well for at least 3 minutes, until light and creamy. Add in the egg and egg yolk and whisk well. Now add in the vanilla extract.
- Sift in the flour and baking soda and fold to combine.
- Finally, fold in the chopped chocolate pieces.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for at least 1 hour, preferably over-night.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Scoop the cookie dough using in ice-cream scoop, leaving enough space between each of the cookies. Bake for 12-15 minutes. At the end of 7 minutes, take out the tray, sprinkle some sea salt on each cookie (optional) and bang it on you counter. Repeat the banging process every two minutes till the end of baking time. Leave the cookies to cool completely.
Tips for the perfect cookie:
- Whisk your butter and sugars very well. This results in the perfect crisp on the outside, soft in the middle cookie.
- When you chop your chocolate, make sure you have uneven sized chunks. This adds a nice variation to your cookie are creates beautiful pools of chocolate.
- Let your dough rest in the fridge. The longer you leave it to rest, the better the flavour will be. You can even leave it to rest for up to 3 days.
- Do not over-crowd your tray when you bake the cookies, they need space to spread and cook evenly. With an ice-cream scoop you may only be able to fit 4-5 cookies on one tray.
- Bang your tray every two minutes after the 9 minute mark! It sounds crazy but it works.