Berries make me happy. And baking with berries, even happier. I could put them (and eat them) in pretty much anything – ice cream, tarts, sorbets…but this cake wins it for me. It’s a cake, so simple, it far exceeds delicious. Lightly fragranced with vanilla and cinnamon, it lets the berries shine. As the berries bake, they release little bursts of tartness in little crevices of the cake, which creates a medley of flavours that sing of summer.
- 85 g unsalted butter
- 180 g flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 170 g sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup assorted berries
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 9-inch tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, sieve the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla and mix well. Slowly add in the milk, whisking continuously.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients one-third at a time. Mix until there are no lumps.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared tin.
- Coat the berries in a little bit of flour and arrange on top of the batter.
- Bake in the oven at 180°C for 10 minutes, and then lower the temperature to 150°C and bake for another 30-35 minutes.
This pie is the quintessence of summer with lots and lots of strawberries and blueberries. It’s a simple, no-fuss pie is hinted with vanilla and packed with plump, fresh berries, so each bite bursts with juicy goodness. These beautiful, soft and subtle flavours seamlessly unite to create a flavour combination that is perfect in every little way.
For the crust:
- 100 g flour
- 12 g sugar
- 50 g butter
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
For the filling:
- 5 egg yolks
- ½ cup of sugar
- 2 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups scalded milk (just below boiling point)
- zest of 1 large orange
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- strawberries (halved) and blueberries (or any berries of your choice)
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and sugar.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of cold water and bring together. Do not knead.
- Cover in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 180°C in a pre-heated oven for 45-50 minutes.
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale. Add the cornstarch and whisk to combine.
- Slowly add in the milk and whisk to combine. Pour this batter into a saucepan and cook on low heat whisking constantly until the cream thickens. Once this mixture has thickened turn the heat off and add the orange zest and butter.
- Pour the custard into a bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the custard and refrigerate until cold.
- Once the tart shell is cooked and cooled, fill it with the custard. Arrange the strawberries and blueberries on top.