Rich, fudgy and soul-satisfying. This flourless chocolate cake is exactly what you need make a bad day better. It’s the kind of cake you don’t need an occasion to bake, because it’s just that good.
- 150 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 70 g unsalted butter
- 4 eggs, separated and at room temperature
- 90 g granulated sugar
- 20 g cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Line a 7 inch spring-form pan with parchment paper.
- Add the chopped up chocolate to a heat-proof bowl. In a saucepan, heat the butter until it is just simmering.
- Remove from heat and pour over the chocolate. Let sit for about 2-3 minutes and then whisk until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Add the 4 yolks to the chocolate and whisk to combine. Then sift in the cocoa and salt. Mix together until combined. The mixture will be thick and stiff.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites and sugar until stiff peaks or a meringue forms.
- Add 1/3 of the whipped egg whites to the chocolate mixture and fold gently to combine. Then add in the rest of the egg whites and gently fold through until all mixed together.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 21-23 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then release and allow to cool completely. The cake will collapse and form cracks on the surface as it cools.