For the cake:
- 200 g whole wheat flour
- 50 g all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 40 g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 eggs
- 54 g granulated sugar
- 25 g brown sugar
- 40 g olive oil
- 135 g buttermilk
- 100 g Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 100 g grated carrot (weighted after grating)
For the glaze:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 30 g brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 20 g powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Grease a loaf pan and line with parchment paper, leaving an overhang (so you can lift out the cake). Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add in the chopped walnuts and mix to coat.
- In a separate bowl, add the eggs, brown sugar, granulated sugar, olive oil and vanilla. Whisk on medium speed until light and fluffy – about 3-4 minutes.
- Then, add in the buttermilk and greek yogurt, and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Add 1/2 of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold together until some traces of flour remain. Add the remaining dry ingredients and fold to combine. Finally, fold in the grated carrot.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 48-56 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan.
- To make the glaze, in a small saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and brown sugar. Once almost melted add in the milk and cinnamon, and whisk to combine. Let the mixture come to a boil and then remove from heat.
- Add in the powdered sugar and whisk to combine.
- Let the glaze sit on the counter to cool. It will thickened slightly as it cools. Pour over carrot cake and enjoy!