This delicious chocolate cake topped with peppermint buttercream and adorned with whimsical chocolate trees will make all of your winter wonderland dreams come true. And although the cake layers are only chocolate, they are anything but ordinary. This vegan chocolate cake is the only chocolate cake you will ever need. It is velvety, moist, and full of flavour!
For the cake:
- 135 g all purpose flour
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 225 ml milk of your choice (soy, almond, regular all work)
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 150 g caster sugar
- 150 ml sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the peppermint buttercream:
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 190 g powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line two 8 inch cake tins with baking paper.
- Put the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl and sift twice.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the milk, vinegar, sugar, oil and vanilla extract. Pour into the flour mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 40-55 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the tins for 10 minutes, then remove from tins and leave to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream, use an electric mixer to whip butter until pale and fluffy.
- Add in the peppermint extract and vanilla extract and half of the powdered sugar and mix until combined.
Add remaining powdered sugar and mix on low speed until blended and increase to medium-high speed and whip until light and fluffy. Add milk if needed and mix well. Spread between and on top of the cooled cakes.