Spicy, warm ginger is one of my favourite things to add to cake. This time I paired it with zesty orange and bright pomegranate, which turned out to be an excellent decision. Not only is the cake delicious, the pastel pink buttercream is absolutely to die for!
For the cake:
- 135 g flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 87 g salted butter
- 60 g brown sugar
- 50 g granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 120 ml greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
For the buttercream:
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 6-7 tablespoons pomegranate juice, freshly squeezed
- 60 g powdered sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 7 inch cake pan.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add in the flour mixture, greek yogurt, ginger and orange zest. Fold together until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile to prepare the buttercream, in a small saucepan add the pomegranate juice. Cook on a low flame until the juice has reduced to about half and looks syrupy.
- Cream together the butter and powdered sugar. Add in the pomegranate juice and whip until light and airy. Add more sugar or milk until you are happy with the consistency.
- Let the cake cool completely. Frost and enjoy!